Saturday 13 November 2010

26) What would I do differently in my Irish Jig?

I was amazed at how drastically my ideas changed.  Originally I had started by considering composing a minimalist piece, based on Steve Reich.  I ended up composing an Irish Jig.  There isn't much more of a contrast than those two genres.

When I saw my tutor, he mentioned that the accordion part is "unplayable".  Never having played the accordion, I didn't realise this.  Although it is in error, I haven't changed it, because that was part of my journey.  If my composition was the key area for this project, then obviously I would have changed it.  

I thought I knew a lot of Irish music, but by doing this project, I have introduced myself to many more bands I'd never even heard about.  Some of these (like Gaelic Storm) even turned into my biggest influences.  

Obviously, it depends on how your mind works and what your individual process is when starting to compose a piece of music.  However, I never realised how similar it was to booking a holiday.  There are so many areas involved in composing, which I hadn't thought about, before.  

Along my own personal journey, I have discovered how important other people are in the planning.  Without talking to others, I wouldn't have discovered many of the bands and artists I did.  I have always found it difficult to take other peoples suggestions into account but looking back on this, I've become aware of the importance of this.  

Overall, I am pleased with this piece of work but as Dr Sansom pointed out, I have stayed in my comfort zone.  Although at first, I was horrified by the thought of composing a piece that was "unconventional" I am glad he persuaded me to try.  
  


No comments:

Post a Comment